2014年12月3日星期三

Breaking new grounds in fashion

Fashion designers are known for their unmatched sophistication and good taste. In the recent years, more and more Arab women are emerging as fashion designers and they simply do not exist in the field, they excel in it and make their presence felt like no other. Saudi designer Haifa Fahad is a young designer who has carved out a niche for herself in the fashion world. Arab News met with Fahad and found out more about her dreams and designs.
Tell us about yourself.
I am a young Saudi girl who lives in Riyadh. I studied interior design engineering, and then joined the Arts and Skills Institute where I studied fashion.
How did you start off as a designer?
At first I was designing for myself. My clothes got the attention of my friends and relatives, who started inquiring about them. At that point, I thought of designing more clothes and selling them at affordable prices. I initially designed for my relatives and then for my friends and colleagues. Through social media, the number of customers and orders I get has increased many folds.
1417546861803062400.jpg
Who are the people who encouraged you to design?
The person who encouraged me most is my mother. She is the source of my inspiration. I have always gotten new ideas from my mother because she loves fashion and is well-informed on the latest fashion trends.
How would you describe your designs?
My designs are simple and they reflect a bit of my personality. I present something of myself. So any woman or girl who wears my design wears a piece of Haifa Fahad’s imprint.
How many collections have you released so far? What is the price range?
I have released two collections. The first collection comprises dresses designed for night parties and the prices start from SR 2,000.
The second collection is about exotic winter clothes, where the idea was inspired by exotic creatures. The prices start from SR 1,000.
What kind of a woman wears your clothes?
Everyone can wear my designs, but each person is different from the other, according to the personality and skin type. There are many colors and shades of the same color, and each color suits a certain personality and a certain skin color. I see a woman’s personality and the color of her skin and then I design the dress according to her taste and depending on the character and color of her skin so that the design suits her.
What sets your designs apart from the rest?
The material is an important thing in the design. The material of the fabric and the piece must be good and consistent with the colors so that the final outcome is well-designed, beautiful and appropriate. I focus on everything. I focus on the thread I use, for example, and I always follow up and supervise. I check the measurements and see if the dress is good enough to be displayed and sold.
Many people believe that the fashion designing world requires a considerable effort that is difficult to achieve. What tips would you like to give to our readers?
First of all, there is no such thing as difficult. I always remove words such as ‘difficult’, ‘I cannot’, and ‘impossible’ from my mind. True, some people say that the designing world is beautiful and wonderful, but there are also those who oppose and criticize the designs. A person can both succeed and fail. It is not shameful to fail. However, the real shame would be failing and not fixing the mistakes. By learning from our mistakes, through will and persistent effort, we can accomplish everything no matter how difficult things are. An individual must be prepared to face risks and challenges in all aspects of life, not just in the field of design.
Finally, how do you visualize your look on your wedding day.
My look would be unforgettable. I will design my wedding dress, which will be white in color, and not off-white. It will be simple, and not fluffy/ puffy, and that is what would distinguish my wedding dress from the rest.
formal dresses

没有评论:

发表评论